“Świdny Las” Biking Trail
“ŚWIDNY LAS” BIKING TRAIL (red) – ca. 28 km
Grunwaldzka Street at the intersection with Nowokarsiborska Street (the first section runs along the bicycle lane in Nowokarsiborska and Karsiborska streets).
ON THE TRAIL
- Grunwaldzka Street [0 km] – used to be the highway to Berlin, opened for traffic in 1860, also the Świnoujście – Berlin railroad used to run along the road (the building of the former railway station can still be seen at 54 Grunwaldzka St., the embankment with several flyovers can be seen on the German side);
- The Piastowski Canal [6.3 km] – built in the years 1876 – 1888 in connection with the development and expansion of the sea port and in order to shorten the fairway to Szczecin; as a result of digging the canal, the south-east part of Uznam (Usedom) was separated and became the island of Karsibór; the canal is 7.2 km long and its fairway’s average depth is 10.5 m;
- “The Ferns of Karsibór" [9.2 km] – a nature reserve of the area of nearly 38 ha featuring lush, more than 2 meters high fern thickets made up mainly of the royal fern (Osmunda regalis) which is under protection; this reserve is one of the biggest concentrations of this species in Poland;
- The western breakwater of the Piastowski Canal fairway gate [13.7 km] – expanded in the course of dredging of the canal’s fairway and elongated to 644 metres; the navigation signs placed on the western and eastern breakwaters heads guide the ships going into and out of the Piastowski Canal.
Gallery: "Świdny Las" biking trail