R-10 International coastal biking trail
R-10 INTERNATIONAL COASTAL BIKING TRAIL (green) – ca. 23 km
The cross-border, Polish – German promenade (the Polish-German border).
ON THE TRAIL
- The Seaside Quarters [1.3 km] – houses of historical value built in an eclectic style, with decorated facades, columns, turrets and loggias, characteristic for spa architecture;
- The windmill-shaped beacon [4.4 km] – the navigation sign placed at the stone-made western breakwater in the years 1873-1874; the symbol of Świnoujście;
- Western Fort [5.7 km] – built in 1843 – 1863, originally named „Werk IV”, later „Batterie A”, „Westbatterie” and „Batterie Henningsen”; originally it was a small, one-storey redoubt built on a square plan, after a few dozen years of expansion and modernization it became a fortress surrounded by a moat and embankments; after the war the Soviet military units were stationed here until 1962; currently it houses a military museum with both indoor and outdoor exhibitions;
- Angel’s Fort [6.3 km] – erected in the years 1854-1858; originally called “Werk III”, it took its current name after St. Angel's Castle (Hadrian’s Mausoleum) in Rome, whose architecture had inspired the designer of the Fort; the Angel’s Fort features a three-storey rotunda topped with a roof deck and an observation tower; currently the Angel’s Fort presents many exhibits connected with its history, there is also a cafe, an art gallery and an exhibition of artistic jewellery;
- The Spa Park [6.4 km] – dating back to the 19th century, designed by Peter J. Lenne – the landscape architect famous for the royal gardens in Berlin and Sanssouci gardens in Potsdam; it is one of the most outstanding spa parks in Europe, featuring a wide variety of flora, including the valuable and original ancient forest as well as many unique and protected plant species;
- The Maritime Fishing Museum [7.8 km] ‑ seated in the former Town Hall building, which, designed in 1792 and built in 1804‑1806, is the oldest in town; the exhibits show us the history of fishing, the town and the region, the museum presents historic navigation devices and marine fauna specimens, there are also numerous exhibitions held on different occasions;
- Gerhard’s (Eastern) Fort [13.4 km] – the most interesting and at the same time the oldest fortification on the island of Wolin, build in 1856-1863; the only Prussian fort that is left from the former eastern fortifications, it was formed as a result of joining the “Eastern Battery” and “Werk II” fort; its task was to defend the entrance to the port and to fight warships at sea; currently the fort houses the Museum of Coastal Defence.
- The Lighthouse [13.6 km] – put in operation in 1857, the highest lighthouse at the Baltic coast, the focal height is 68m., the tower height from its base is 64.8 m., it is one of the highest in the world; there are 308 stair steps leading to the top and the observation deck, there is also an exhibition regarding lighthouses and sea rescue operations;
- The eastern breakwater [14.2 km] – built in 1818 – 1823, more than 1400 m long (the longest stone-made breakwater in Europe);
- “The Bell” [22.6 km] – the ca. 20 m. high bunker made of concrete; it was used by the artillery headquarters; currently an observation deck used by the Międzyzdroje Forest District (the bunker may be visited upon making an appointment on the phone: 91 328 00 57)
Gallery: R-10 International coastal biking trail