The Spa Park
Prior to granting the municipal charter, the park area was covered with vast sandbanks, flooded with water and dotted with gnarled pine trees. As a result of extensive hydro-technical work, the entire area was transformed into the so-called new land, reinforced with shrub and tree plantations. The land was fully developed by the end of the 18th Century, and extended since 1806, based on a geometric plan of alleys and circuses. A new development stage of the park area began with a decision on establishing the Świnoujście marina. Two piers were constructed, and in 1824, the first season was officially opened. The Old Spa House was also built in 1825-1826, near the landing pier.
Contacts were established at this time with the famous royal gardener, Peter Joseph Lenne, who was entrusted with drafting a park design. Lenne came to Świnoujście in 1826 and adjusted his design to the existing land development structure. The Spa House was treated as a focal point, around which a number of viewing lanes and alleys in other park sections were arranged. Moreover, seedlings of various trees and shrubs, including a number of rare species, were imported and planted. Another development stage began in the period of seaside district construction. This was when the holiday and entertainment centre was moved from the landing pier, to the seaside. In addition, at the onset of the 19th Century, the current Bolesława Chrobrego Street was established, then extended and surrounded with tree plantings. Furthermore, a network of narrow and twisting alleys was designed at the western side of the street, and so were sites for constructing various types of small architectural objects. This was also when the huge and expensive gardens were established around summer houses and along the promenade, including the new Spa Park built right by the sea in 1885-1910.
The “Fin de siècle” was one of the most colourful periods in the history of the Świnoujście holiday resort. Unfortunately, it ended with the outbreak of the First World War. Following this, the park area was limited to the present Mieszka I Street. Moreover, the Old Spa House was demolished and replaced by residential buildings. In the inter-war period, a new park section was established to the west of the town, from Krzywoustego Street, right to Matejki Street. It featured tennis courts and restaurants. In 1945, nearly 50% of Świnoujście's buildings were destroyed. The Spa House was burnt down, and the surrounding garden was devastated. The park area also suffered severe damage. Fortunately, many of the Mediterranean plant species have survived, and so has the impressive historic stand of trees, which is now over 150 years old.
The first decisions on revitalising the historic Spa Park were taken in 2000. The resources that were obtained from the European Regional Development Fund allowed for major reconstruction of the Spa Park. In this, the paths, squares and park alleys, together with a myriad of architectural details, were rebuilt from scratch. Furthermore, the newly-constructed fountains began to attract dozens of strollers, especially in summer, who are eager to take some rest on one of the 190 stylish benches, located about the park area. A labyrinth of alleys also inspires long walks, whereas the park's wide cycling lanes invite cyclists for a park ride. The park section located at the junction of Chrobrego and Sienkiewicza streets, however, has been redesigned and built for more active people. The training equipment, available in the so-called outdoor gyms, is often used by both parents and children, while the football pitches provide venues for frequent pick-up matches between local, summer camp or “green school” teams. There is also a multi-purpose pitch where you can play volleyball, basketball or badminton.
A playground for the youngest children, with a number of wooden facilities laid out upon a mat of soft sand, is situated at Krzywoustego Street.